- 1 pkg Duncan Hines® Moist Deluxe® Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 1 can (21 ounces) Comstock® or Wilderness® Cherry Pie Filling
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 (8 oz) container frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Prepare, bake and cool cake according to package directions.
- Combine cherry pie filling and almond extract in small bowl. Stir until blended.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on serving plate. Spread with 1 cup whipped topping, then half the cherry pie filling mixture. Top with second layer. Spread remaining pie filling to within 1 1/2-inches of cake edge. Decorate cake edge with remaining whipped topping. Garnish with sliced almonds.
I added a whole can of cream cheese icing to cool whip (which was not non-dairy so i had to refrigerate the cake right away - tasted great cold!)
Also forgot to mix the almond extract in..obviously not a big deal so don't sweat it if you don't have it.