- 1 pkg. Duncan Hines® Butter Golden Cake Mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup water
- ¾ cup espresso or very strong coffee, cooled
- 1 tablespoon coffee-flavored liqueur or dark rum
- 2 cans Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Frosting Starter
- 2 packets Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Mocha Flavor Mix
- 4 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 23 ladyfingers
- 2 oz. chocolate, shaved
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 8" round cake pans.
- Prepare cake batter as directed on package.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pans and bake 25 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cakes comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool completely and turn out of pans.
- In small bowl, combine espresso and coffee liqueur.
- Poke holes in cooled cakes with a skewer. Generously brush tops of both cakes with espresso mixture, using up to 1/2 cup. Set aside the remaining ¼ cup.
- Pour 1 packet of Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Mocha Flavor Mix into 1 can of Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Frosting Starter. Stir until evenly blended. Repeat with second packet and can.
- Transfer 1/2 cup of the Mocha frosting you just created to a piping bag.
- Transfer another 1/2 cup of the Mocha frosting to a small bowl and combine it with the mascarpone cheese. This will be your cake filling.
- With the piping bag, pipe a circle or “dam” of the Mocha frosting around outer edge of bottom cake layer.
- Fill center circle with mocha/mascarpone filling. Top with second layer of cake.
- Frost sides and top of layer cake with remaining Mocha frosting.
- Dip or brush flat side of ladyfinger cookies with remaining espresso mixture and adhere to sides of cake.
- Chill 20 minutes. Garnish top edge of cake with shaved chocolate before serving.
- Tie a ribbon around the finished cake for a beautiful presentation. This can also help keep the ladyfingers in perfect alignment after assembling the cake.
How it Works Video
See how easy it is to use Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Mixes.