- 1 pkg Duncan Hines® Moist Deluxe® Spice Cake Mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups applesauce
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 container Duncan Hines® Creamy Home-Style Classic Vanilla Frosting
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 ºF. Grease and flour 13x9-inch pan.
- Combine cake mix, eggs, applesauce and oil in large bowl. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer for 2 minutes. Stir in nuts. Pour into bake pan.
- Bake at 350 ºF for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Invert onto cooling rack. Turn right-side up. Cool completely.
- For frosting, combine frosting and cinnamon;. Stir until blended. Spread over cooled cake.
This is the one I remember using and it was excellent.
I've made this cake for more than 35 years finding the recipe on the back of the box when my children were 8 or 9 years old. They're 46 and 47 now! It reminded me of the A&P's spice bar that my mom would buy when I was a kid. I add raisins, walnuts and sometimes shredded carrots to the batter. I place the raisins in a saucepan, cover them with water - not too much - and let them soften and plump up. I drain them and add them to the batter, too. When I use shredded carrots, I add the shredded carrots to the raisins and soft them along with the raisins. My family really enjoys this cake.