This colorful wreath of cupcakes makes a perfect centerpiece for any autumn get-together. The leaves are made by painting melted chocolate on maple or oak leaves, letting it harden, and then peeling the leaf off to reveal a stunning chocolate replica. We used browns, oranges and greens for the wreath, but it could be made from scarlet, ochre, or yellow. The acorns are caramels rolled into acorn shapes, dipped in icing to make the caps, and rolled in chocolate sprinkles for texture.
- Wash the maple leaves with warm water and pat dry on paper towels. Line several cookie sheets with wax paper. Place the orange, green and milk chocolate melting chocolates into separate microwave-safe bowls. Microwave the chocolate melting wafers for 10 seconds, stirring occasionally, until chocolates are smooth, about 1 minute. Use a small clean craft brush or your fingertip to paint spots of the different colored chocolates all over the top side of the maple leaves with an even layer of the chocolates (too thin and the chocolate will break when removing leaves). Swirl the colors slightly to blend. Place the chocolate coated leaves on the prepared cookie sheets. Repeat with the remaining leaves. Reheat chocolates in the microwave, stirring frequently. Place sheet pans in the refrigerator until chocolate is set, about 5 minutes.
- Carefully peel the maple leaves from the hardened chocolate. It comes off surprisingly easily. Use a toothpick or clean tweezers to remove any pieces of leaf that may have remained (the leaves and other chocolates decals can be made up to 5 days in advance, covered, and kept in a cool dry place).
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper. Spoon any extra milk chocolate into a small bowl (this will be used for the acorn tops). Soften 4 to 5 caramels at a time in the microwave for 3 to 4 seconds. Roll each caramel into an acorn shape (egg shape). Spoon the chocolate jimmies into a small bowl. Reheat the milk chocolate melting wafers in the microwave, stirring often, until smooth, about 10 seconds. Dip the large end of the shaped caramels into the melted chocolate to cover about 1/4 inch. Allow any excess chocolate to drip off. Dip chocolate end of caramel into the jimmies to coat. Transfer to cookie sheet. Repeat with the remaining acorns. Refrigerate until set, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the chocolate frosting into a ziplock bag. Spread the tops of the cupcakes with the remaining chocolate frosting and smooth. Arrange the cupcakes, side by side, to make circle on a large platter.
- Working in one direction, press the chocolate leaves into the frosted cupcakes to cover. Add the acorns randomly over cupcakes. Snip a small corner from the bag with the chocolate frosting and pipe dots of frosting on the jimmied end as stems on the acorns.
Where in the store do you find different color melting wafers?
Where do I get the leaves from? Outside? I really want to make these for an event I am doing this weekend Please help if you can
Sounds like a fun recipe to get the grandkids to help with.
This is a great recipe and it really gives something different to the dessert table appearance!