- 1 box Duncan Hines® Angel Food Cake Mix
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Ground cinnamon stick or additional pumpkin pie spice
- Move oven rack to center position. Preheat oven to 375°F. Place paper baking cups in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- Pour cake mix, flour and pie spice into clean, large mixing bowl; whisk together. Add pumpkin and water. Using an electric mixer on low speed, mix until moistened, about 30 seconds. Scrape down bowl. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Fill each baking cup about 2/3 full with batter. Place muffin pans side-by-side on center rack avoiding contact with the oven sides or each other. Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until the center of cupcake springs back when lightly touched. Cool 3 minutes; carefully remove from pan. Place on wire rack; cool completely.
- Chill medium mixing bowl and beaters in refrigerator at least 15 minutes before whipping cream. Blend sugar and ginger. Beat whipping cream, sugar-ginger mixture and vanilla on high speed about 3 to 4 minutes or until stiff peaks form, scraping bowl often.
- Place whipped cream in plastic storage bag. Snip 1/4-inch off bottom corner of bag. Pipe onto cupcakes and refrigerate before serving or serve immediately. Garnish by sprinkling the tops with pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon stick, if desired. Store covered cupcakes in refrigerator.
- Simplify by topping each cupcake with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.
- The secret to whipping cream is starting with cold utensils. May be made earlier in day. Store covered in refrigerator. Rewhip if necessary.
- For less calories and great taste, reduce pumpkin pie spice in cupcake to 1 teaspoon plus add 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind to batter. Bake as above. Serve without whipped cream. Great for lunches and snacks!