- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tbsp. active dry yeast
- 1 pkg. Duncan Hines® Classic Yellow Cake Mix
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 can Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Frosting Starter
- 1 packet Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Mocha Flavor Mix
- Dissolve yeast in 2 cups of warm water.
- In a large bowl, combine yeast-and-water mixture with Duncan Hines® Classic Yellow Cake Mix, flour and salt to create a soft dough.
- Cover bowl and let dough rise in a warm area for 1 hour.
- Roll out risen dough on a flour-dusted surface to a 1/2" thickness. Using a 21/2" to 31/2" cookie cutter or biscuit cutter, cut out doughnut circles. Use a knife to cut out the donut holes.
- Cover donuts and let them rise again for 30 minutes.
- Heat 3" of vegetable oil in a fryer or deep skillet to 350°F.
- Place donuts, 3 or 4 at a time, in skillet. Make sure they have room to fry.
- Cook each donut 3 to 4 minutes, flipping them over halfway through cooking time, until brown and cooked through.
- Transfer donuts to paper towel to drain and cool.
- Pour packet of Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Mocha Flavor Mix into can of Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Frosting Starter. Stir until evenly blended.
- Top donuts with the Mocha frosting you just created. Alternatively, heat frosting for 8 to 10 seconds in microwave and dip tops of donuts into frosting.
- Start by frying just one donut as a test and cut it open to check for doneness. If donut is still raw inside, adjust your frying time.
How it Works Video
See how easy it is to use Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Mixes.